Friday, April 9, 2010

Blog assignment #9: my topic for the final paper

I have not done any full research on this topic, but I have always wondered and fascinated by the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during world war II. On Wikipedia, it says that within the first two to four months of the bombings, the two atomic bombs killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki, with roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the first day. What I am interested in is the aftermath rather than the acute effects. In my paper, I would like to address the increased incidence of leukemia attributed to radiation exposure among 1905-1920 birth cohorts from 1940-1970 in Japan exposed to the two atomic bombs in 1945. This is very important because nuclear weapons have been developed and improved over the course of couple decades, and under the contract the use of nuclear weapons is prohibited; however, we still often are threatend by nuclear weapons present, and just in case it is important to learn how it affects/might affect the health of the population. Some people would not find this interesting because this topic could feel unrealistic since nuclear weapons are not as common-- should not be common :) I, however, find this interesting because I read a book about this japanese family who raised a monkey deformed due to exposure to radiation during atomic bombing. It was many years ago but the story was very touching, and I have always wanted to learn about radiation exposure and how it affects people. Also, since I am from South Korea, which is a country in vicinity to Japan, and therefore could have gotten affected by the bombing and radiation follwed, I would like to investigate.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting topic, but as you recently realized, a more current topic might be more appropriate for this paper.

    ReplyDelete